Saturday 9 June 2012

Kitchen Bitch at Nicon

Nicon was hosted by my club over the past three day weekend. I was rearing to go and had my Elven host all geared up to take on Skaven. The number one player in the country was shuffle dancing about taking Ogres but I was onto his Tsung Tzu (Sun Wu) tactics and knew he would be taking his other army Skaven. So was designed the suicide Elves ready to take on the six dice shenanigans but ultimately weak to shooting armies. This was Ironic as the reverse meta meant that 7 Wood Elf armies strolled outta the forest to take part and that meant if I faced them my T3 force would have been shunted off the park.

With Nicon's multiple tournaments and ultimately the council who hired the hall out to us not cooperating as well as we had thought I had to sacrifice the weekend to drum the logistics out so the tournament went as planned. Having the council fall short by giving us 34 trestles and promising 40, it meant that it was play Macgyver with the very last broken trestle to make the juggle around work. So after a dozen times around with the thousand mile tape it meant the tournament was go and I had to give up my gaming weekend for a stint at being the Kitchen Bitch for the weekend. It didn't help that we had players pulling out to muck the draw up some thing wicked. Oh well I'll get my ranking points from the other tournaments left in the year I suppose.

Pizza for 50... not a problemo.

Thanks to the TO's out there who came to Nicon and showed the wargaming community a good time. We had the usual big three and even though it was a smaller tournament due to the holiday weekend Warhammer and Flames of War had good turn outs. The Warmachine teams tournament was a great tournament from the Local Press Ganger Haydn welcoming the troops to the middle of the Hall to showcase some Privateer Press action. The Tournament had 6 teams of three and each team had Trophies and medals a plenty to celebrate their win.


Come to more events Warmachiners as the more in attendance means more prizes and a great opportunity to meet the growing community. Our prizes at our tournaments are all down to numbers and once hall hire and expenses are paid the rest of the money goes into prizes and support. Suffice it to say once we reach that mark any additional entries into the tournament instantly means a logarithmic jump in the prize pool. There are Umpires out there that try and bribe you out of their own pocket with prizes but we do honest work and try to encourage players out because they enjoy their gaming.

So with a great support from the Ancients wargaming community Nicon was for me a enriching experience. Not only did I get to meet a whole bunch of new and avid hobbyists it also introduced me to some new wargaming genres that you wouldn't commonly see much of at your local club.



So last but not least for NiCon and what I was there to compete for but by passed is the final results of WFB. Reaffirming his dominance in the country with a puritanical cleansing of all before him Pete has retained his Number 1 ranking in here parts. It was by no means an easy feat as there was studded top ranked players in the field in the tournament and I'll be the first to congratulate him on his achievements. It's also fantastic to see that he will be there for all to challenge at GuardCon later this year as well.  

Interesting to note the half dozen or so chasing the top position. All those names will feature highly in upcoming tournaments in my books and they will be the guys to watch for booking themselves a place in Masters if they continue to come to tournaments no doubt. It also brings a tear to my eyes as Graeme relieves me of my much coveted High Elf icon. Congrats brother you are utterly deserving, look after it well foe I will of cause challenge you on the field of a nearby table top for the honours soon. You can check out his awesome army Here

Board Game of the week:
Ankh - Morpork : Anything with more Pork has to be good and lashings of crackling nom nom. True to form it's got heaps of Terry Pratchett humour and good fun. For all those fans of his books this will harken you back with numerous references and visuals. For those not as familiar with the books like me it's still a wonderment of a game and easy to pick up. Very fast and re-playable so 2-4 players and 40-60 minutes at a skip.  3.5 out of 5 stars.

 
The winner of the raffle for the board game invited me around to take it for a test drive and it was definitely enjoyable.





No comments:

Post a Comment